Contact Jay Sprinkel
Jay Sprinkel CRPC®
What’s the most valuable thing you’ve learned from your clients?
I’ve learned that if I talk to people from my heart, I can help. I am good at breaking things down and communicating in easy terms. This has to do with understanding and translating, which also begins with listening.
Can you share a favorite kernel of wisdom for those just starting to invest and save?
Living a successful, enjoyable, and happy life is about achieving a proper balance between time spent with family and friends and time spent on work and leisure. Financially, we can’t live as if today were our last day. Decide what to spend now versus what to spend then. Find the correct balance. It’s an important first step toward achieving financial security and the future you want.
How do you give back to the community?
I work with “Badges for Baseball.” Their curriculum, “Healthy Choice, Healthy Children,” helps underserved kids from all over the country enjoy a one-of-a-kind Ripken Summer Camp here in Maryland. I also coach girls’ youth lacrosse.
What are your personal interests and passions?
Spending time with my wife Katharine and our six children Ava, Emerson, Declan, Finlay, Silas, and Poppy.
Tell us what you love about the energy behind the Scarborough brand.
We are passionate about crafting solutions for our clients that perfectly match their needs, goals and aspirations.
Education & Designations:
- Randolph Macon College, BA, Business and Economics
- Minor in Religion
- CHARTERED RETIREMENT PLANNING COUNSELOR℠
Registration & Licenses:
- FINRA Series 7 & 66 Registrations
- Life and Health Insurance Licensed
- Named “Top 40 Under 40” by Rep magazine 2013
- SII Top Ten Advisor 2013
- SII Top 50 Producer 2009-2014
- Prudential Masters Council 2012-2014
- Transamerica “Top of the Pyramid Advisor” 2013
- Member of Hartford Leader’s Leadership Council 2007
- Named as a “Five Star Professional” in Baltimore Magazine 2017-2021*
- IFG Elite Advisor 2018
* The Five Star Wealth Manager award, administered by Crescendo Business Services, LLC (dba Five Star Professional), is based on 10 objective criteria. Eligibility criteria – required: 1. Credentialed as a registered investment adviser or a registered investment adviser representative; 2. Actively licensed as a registered investment adviser or as a principal of a registered investment adviser firm for a minimum of 5 years; 3. Favorable regulatory and complaint history review (As defined by Five Star Professional, the wealth manager has not; A. Been subject to a regulatory action that resulted in a license being suspended or revoked, or payment of a fine; B. Had more than a total of three settled or pending complaints filed against them and/or a total of five settled, pending, dismissed or denied complaints with any regulatory authority or Five Star Professional’s consumer complaint process. Unfavorable feedback may have been discovered through a check of complaints registered with a regulatory authority or complaints registered through Five Star Professional’s consumer complaint process; feedback may not be representative of any one client’s experience; C. Individually contributed to a financial settlement of a customer complaint; D. Filed for personal bankruptcy within the past 11 years; E. Been terminated from a financial services firm within the past 11 years; F. Been convicted of a felony); 4. Fulfilled their firm review based on internal standards; 5. Accepting new clients. Evaluation criteria – considered: 6. One-year client retention rate; 7. Five-year client retention rate; 8. Non-institutional discretionary and/or non-discretionary client assets administered; 9. Number of client households served; 10. Education and professional designations. Wealth managers do not pay a fee to be considered or placed on the final list of Five Star Wealth Managers. Award does not evaluate quality of services provided to clients. Once awarded, wealth managers may purchase additional profile ad space or promotional products. The Five Star award is not indicative of the wealth manager’s future performance. Wealth managers may or may not use discretion in their practice and therefore may not manage their client’s assets. The inclusion of a wealth manager on the Five Star Wealth Manager list should not be construed as an endorsement of the wealth manager by Five Star Professional or this publication. Working with a Five Star Wealth Manager or any wealth manager is no guarantee as to future investment success, nor is there any guarantee that the selected wealth managers will be awarded this accomplishment by Five Star Professional in the future. For more information on the Five Star award and the research/selection methodology, go to fivestarprofessional.com. 2,029 Baltimore-area wealth managers were considered for the award; 237 (12% of candidates) were named 2021 Five Star Wealth Managers. 2020: 1,898 considered, 234 winners; 2019: 1,865 considered, 265 winners; 2018: 1,759 considered, 232 winners; 2017: 1,093 considered, 355 winners; 2016: 1,215 considered, 356 winners; 2015: 1,749 considered, 412 winners; 2014: 1,484 considered, 395 winners; 2013: 1,490 considered, 448 winners; 2012: 1,470 considered, 262 winners.