Contact Joshua Goldsmith
Joshua Goldsmith CFP®, CRPC®
Can you share a favorite kernel of wisdom for those just starting to invest and save?
I wouldn’t say it’s wisdom but “just get started”. Like most things in life, it’s easy to put off. Sometimes it’s hard to start putting money away for the future when you need it now. We help people get started and get organized. That’s one reason our clients tend to contribute more than the national average to their retirement accounts.
What’s a favorite part of helping people save for retirement?
I enjoy the beginning. Working with clients to get them financially organized and creating a plan for retirement, even if their retirement date isn’t for a couple of decades.
Please share a few of your career highlights.
One career highlight is when I attained the CFP® designation. It was a lot of hard work and like most things that involve hard work, I felt a great sense of accomplishment when I passed the final exam. Another highlight happened recently and that was my 15th anniversary of not just working in this industry but working at SCM. A lot of people have trouble finding out what they want to do for a living or finding a company that is a good fit and I am lucky enough to have found both.
What personal traits do you believe most positively impact your job?
I think the most impactful trait that helps my client is that I am an optimist. Whether it be the markets, economy or something that negatively effects their personal financial situation I will always try to find the silver lining in any situation.
What would surprise us to learn about you?
I used to be a high school substitute science teacher.
What are your personal interests and passions?
Spending time with family, especially my wife Amy and our two girls. I like cooking and anything sports related, especially going to Orioles games at Camden Yards.
Education & Designations:
- Towson University, BS, Business Administration with a concentration in Finance
- New York University, Certificate in Financial Planning
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- CHARTERED RETIREMENT PLANNING COUNSELOR℠
Registration & Licenses:
- FINRA Series 7 & 66 Registrations
- Life and Health Insurance Licensed
- Named as a “Five Star Wealth Manager” in Baltimore Magazine 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 & 2023*
- Named to WealthManagement.com ACI Panel
- Member of Financial Planning Association
* This award was issued on 01/01/23 by Five Star Professional (FSP) for the time period 04/18/22 through 10/21/22. Fee paid for use of marketing materials. Self-completed questionnaire was used for rating. This rating is not related to the quality of the investment advice and based solely on the disclosed criteria. 2,126 Baltimore-area wealth managers were considered for the award; 256 (12% of candidates) were named 2023 Five Star Wealth Managers. The following prior year statistics use this format: YEAR: # Considered, # Winners, % of candidates, Issued Date, Research Period. 2022: 2078, 260, 13%, 1/1/22, 5/10/21 – 11/12/21; 2029, 237, 12%, 1/1/21, 4/27/20 – 10/30/20; 2020: 1898, 234, 12%, 1/1/20, 4/1/19 – 11/13/19; 2019: 1865, 265, 14%, 1/1/19, 4/19/18 – 11/7/18; 2018: 1759, 232, 13%, 1/1/18, 4/21/17 – 11/6/17; 2017: 1093, 355, 32%, 12/1/16, 3/26/16 – 11/11/16; 2016: 1215, 356, 29%, 12/1/15, 6/16/15 – 11/9/15; 2015: 1749, 412, 24%, 1/1/15, 6/16/14 – 11/9/14; 2014: 1484, 395, 27%, 1/1/14, 6/16/13 – 11/9/13; 2013: 1490, 448, 30%, 1/1/13, 6/16/12 – 11/9/12; 2012: 1470, 262, 18%, 1/1/12, 6/16/11 – 11/9/11. Wealth managers do not pay a fee to be considered or placed on the final list of Five Star Wealth Managers. The award is based on 10 objective criteria. Eligibility criteria – required: 1. Credentialed as a registered investment adviser (RIA) or a registered investment adviser representative; 2. Actively licensed as a RIA or as a principal of a registered investment adviser firm for a minimum of 5 years; 3. Favorable regulatory and complaint history review (As defined by FSP, the wealth manager has not; A. Been subject to a regulatory action that resulted in a license being suspended or revoked, or payment of a fine; B. Had more than a total of three settled or pending complaints filed against them and/or a total of five settled, pending, dismissed or denied complaints with any regulatory authority or FSP’s consumer complaint process. Unfavorable feedback may have been discovered through a check of complaints registered with a regulatory authority or complaints registered through FSP’s consumer complaint process; feedback may not be representative of any one client’s experience; C. Individually contributed to a financial settlement of a customer complaint; D. Filed for personal bankruptcy within the past 11 years; E. Been terminated from a financial services firm within the past 11 years; F. Been convicted of a felony); 4. Fulfilled their firm review based on internal standards; 5. Accepting new clients. Evaluation criteria – considered: 6. One-year client retention rate; 7. Five-year client retention rate; 8. Non-institutional discretionary and/or non-discretionary client assets administered; 9. Number of client households served; 10. Education and professional designations. FSP does not evaluate quality of services provided to clients. The award is not indicative of the wealth manager’s future performance. Wealth managers may or may not use discretion in their practice and therefore may not manage their clients’ assets. The inclusion of a wealth manager on the Five Star Wealth Manager list should not be construed as an endorsement of the wealth manager by FSP or this publication. Working with a Five Star Wealth Manager or any wealth manager is no guarantee as to future investment success, nor is there any guarantee that the selected wealth managers will be awarded this accomplishment by FSP in the future. Visit www.fivestarprofessional.com.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, Certified Financial Planner™ and federally registered CFP (with flame design) in the U.S., which awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board’s initial and ongoing certification requirements.